Brain and spinal cord are the parts of nervous system. Skull protects the brain while spinal cord is protected by the bony spine. Spinal cord connects the brain to the body for coordination. It passes through multiple bones of vertebral column. Movement and activity is produced as a result of command from the spinal cord. These muscles are connected to the spinal cord. Disorders of spinal column can originate from the following origins.
- Vertebrae can be damaged as in arthritis
- Muscles attached to the spinal cord can be hurt by any trauma
- Spinal nerves can be damaged (slipped disc disease)
- Symptoms of a spinal injury are as follows
- Difficulty or inability to walk or stand
- Sensation of pain along the spine
If you notice spinal injury in your pet, contact your veterinarian immediately.