Ligament rupture or fracture is one of the most common problems. For example cranial cruciate ligament.
• Dysplasia or luxation of the hip and patella respectively are two of the common defects pets may be born with.
• The skeletal system may suffer from infectious diseases such as borreliosis, blastomycosis, and other rickettsial infections.
• Joints may become unstable over time leading to osteoarthritis.
• Nutritional and metabolic disorders may seem irrelevant to the skeletal system but they can weaken the bones.
• Cancer of the bone such as osteosarcoma, fibrosarcoma, chondrosarcoma, etc.
Dogs are more likely to suffer from abnormalities of musculoskeletal system. In severe cases, your veterinarian may recommend surgery to treat the condition and improve the life quality. Recovery from an injury or a bone disease takes a long time in older pets. Exercise restriction, weight management, pain management, and nutritional supplements help speed up the recovery of your pet.