Spinal cord is protected by the bony spine just like brain is protected by the skull. Spinal cord connects brain with the rest of the body for nervous coordination. In doing so, spinal cord passes through multiple vertebrae. Muscles are attached to the spine, this allows movement of the spine. Disorders of spinal column can originate from the following origins.
- Vertebrae can be damaged as in arthritis
- Muscles attached to the spinal cord can be hurt by any trauma
- Spinal nerves can be damaged (slipped disc disease)
Symptoms of a spinal injury are as follows
- Difficulty or inability to walk or stand
- Sensation of pain along the spine
If you notice spinal injury in your pet, contact your veterinarian immediately.”