Sometimes, dogs may swallow things that are not eatable and meant for ingestion. In such cases, the foreign object may travel through the gastrointestinal tract unnoticed while in other cases it may get stuck in the gastrointestinal tract where it gets narrow down. The presence of any foreign body can be painful and may cause the dog to vomit repeatedly and become lethargic. If not taken care of, this can cause permanent damage to your pet’s intestinal tract. Other than physical examination, imaging (radiographs of the abdomen) is required for the detection of a foreign body. Prompt surgery is recommended if the foreign body is causing an obstruction or contains toxins. Endoscopy, a flexible scope, can help to remove the foreign body if it is present in the upper portion of the gastrointestinal tract.